If you’re new to the vitamin D journey, welcome! With so many options out there, it can be hard to decide which is the best vitamin D supplement for you. We’ll quickly discuss the role of vitamin D in the body, help you understand what to look for when comparing vitamin D supplements, and provide recommendations on our top picks!
What does vitamin D do?
Vitamin D has many roles in the body. It supports immune health, calcium absorption, bone health, and muscle development. Having adequate vitamin D levels is crucial to the proper functioning of your body’s natural processes.
How should you compare vitamin D supplements?
Few decisions are as important as the ones we make when it comes to what we put into our bodies. When we consider supplements, it’s important to understand your goals and the role that specific nutrients play in attaining your needs. Having a conversation with your doctor, or healthcare provider before starting a dietary supplement is always recommended, since they will be able to consider all of your health goals and guide you in the right direction. When you’ve been given the “green-light” and are looking for options here are a few things to consider:
1. Did we mention to always check with your healthcare provider before using a supplement? We did, yes because that is key to supplementing safely! They’ll be able to look at your diet, lifestyle, medications and more to be able to give you an informed answer.
2. When choosing which supplement to take, understand if the product is trusted by healthcare professionals such as doctors and Registered Dietitians.
3. Is there peer-reviewed, scientific evidence to support what the supplement is claiming? Always check!
4. Consider if there are different forms of a vitamin, or mineral, and what the differences are. If you aren’t sure, this is a great conversation to have with your healthcare provider to further guide you down the right path. For example, vitamin D comes with many options! We will help break these down for you below.
5. Check the daily recommended dosing on the supplement facts panel. Vitamin D daily recommended intake is shown in International Units (IU) or micrograms (mcg). Using the supplement facts panel, you can compare the serving size per day of the vitamin alongside the dose provided within. Recommended intake levels differ based on the nutrient being supplemented, your age and sex. You want to make sure you’re getting the best value out of your vitamins, without having excessive intake.
6. Finally, consider standards for the manufacturer. These include quality and cleanliness of the environment where the supplements are packaged. Ensuring the supplements are produced under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) is important.
What is the best form of vitamin D to take?
You may have seen vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), or vitamin D3 as calcifediol. Each form of vitamin D is slightly different, and comes with properties that make it unique. Vitamin D3 often comes from animal sources like oily fish, egg yolk, liver and can be found as a form of vitamin D in dietary supplements derived from sheep’s wool. There are some vegan forms of vitamin D3 sourced from lichen. Calcifediol (known as the “active form of vitamin D) is a more bioavailable form of vitamin D3 that is able to bypass the liver to be absorbed directly into the blood. This is what is measured in blood levels of vitamin D. Vitamin D3 is the preferred form of vitamin D since it is the form that your body naturally creates using sunlight, and is easier to absorb. Whereas, Vitamin D2 comes from plant sources such as mushrooms, or fortified food products.
How much vitamin D should I take daily?
Your recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin D, is based on age and sex. The current RDA is 400 IU (10 mcg) for children up to 12 months of age, 600 IU (15 mcg) for people ages 1-70 daily, 800 IU (20 mcg) for adults over age 70, and 600 IU (15 mcg) for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. We recommend consulting with your doctor or healthcare provider before starting any dietary supplement to understand your individual needs.
What are the best vitamin D supplements?
When it comes to incorporating supplements into your diet, you’re looking for the best based on your personal goals. Here are some suggestions on three great supplements we have found to be great choices when looking for high quality vitamin D supplements.
Looking for classic vitamin D - just faster, and more effective?*†
d.velop ™ Immunity’s Vitamin D
This supplement uses the form of vitamin D called calcifediol, which works 3x faster than traditional vitamin D supplements.*† Calcifediol is an active form of vitamin D that bypasses the liver and can be absorbed directly into your bloodstream.
Is stronger immune health your goal?*
This supplement provides an immunity-trio, with vitamin C - to help combat oxidative stress, zinc - to help your immune cells communicate - alongside the most effective vitamin D on the market.*† Get the immune benefits of improved Vitamin D levels in weeks, not months.*†
Looking to help support the health of your little ones?
d.velop™ Immunity’s Kids Vitamin D Gummies
The most effective, kid-approved vitamin D gummy.*† Formulated for kids, this great tasting berry gummy can support a healthy immune system.*
At the end of the day, there are lots of supplements to choose from, and you need to find the best vitamin D supplement for you and your lifestyle. Choose to supplement efficiently. Try d.velop™ Immunity’s vitamin D supplement today!
Pilz et al. (2018). Rationale and Plan for Vitamin D Food Fortification: A Review and Guidance Paper. Front. Endocrinol. 9:373.
Quesada-Gomez and Bouillon (2018) Osteoporos. Int. 29, 1697-1711.
Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. 2010. Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D. Washington, DC: National Academy Press